Funding for International Students

There are a number of avenues for funding for international students including but not limited to:

  1. Part-time jobs or work-study on campus
  2. Graduate (teaching/research) assistantships (only for students at Master’s or Ph.D. level).
  3. University sponsored scholarships/fellowships
  4. Independent (third-party) scholarships/fellowships

Part-time on campus jobs

In the U.S., international students (both undergraduate and graduate) are allowed to work only within the university campus. This can include part-time work-study that allows working within the University for a Maximum of 20 hours a week. For this kind of opportunities, apply using university specific procedures.

Graduate (teaching/research) assistantships

For students at Master’s or Ph.D. level, graduate assistantships are the most common type of funding opportunities in the U.S. Typically, graduate assistants work for a maximum of 20 hours. Graduate assistantships cover in-state tuition fees, health insurance, and a modest monthly stipend. The stipend amount varies by university. Consult university specific platforms for application procedure.

University sponsored scholarships and fellowships

Most U.S. universities offer scholarships/fellowship that cover educational and/or living expenses. Whereas most university sponsored scholarships/fellowships tend to cover those expenses only partially, there are many opportunities for full-scholarship/fellowship depending on the university. Examples of university sponsored scholarships include but not limited to

  • University of Minnesota university-wide academic scholarships
  • Yale Scholarship and merit-based scholarships
  • Stanford University Scholarships
  • Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowships
  • American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
  • Dr. Abdul Qayum Endowed Graduate Fellowship

Independent (third-party) scholarships and fellowships

Many independent organizations and government agencies provide scholarships/fellowships to facilitate higher studies in the US. For example,

  • Sir Syed Global Scholar Award
  • Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
  • Fulbright Program for Foreign Students
  • Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarships
  • Fulbright-Nehru Research Fellowship

The following table includes detailed information on scholarships/fellowships in the U.S.

Name of the Scholarship/Organization


Contact detail

Eligibility for Scholarships

Sir Syed Education Society of North America

CGPA or %, TOEFL & GRE Score, on a competitive basis

Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program

10 months non-degree

Fulbright Program for Foreign Students


Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation (Scholarships)


After Class 12, age below 30, Proof of admission

Fulbright-Nehru Research Fellowship (USEIF)

Proof of Admission to Masters/PhD

Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowships

Stanford MBA admission criteria, Commitment to developing India, Financial need, Demonstrated leadership potential, one-page Resume, 250-word essay

American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship or call 1-202-885-6000.

A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.

East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowship

Citizenship of countries in the Asia-pacific region, for Master's/PhD level study

Dr. Abdul Qayum Endowed Graduate Fellowship

Admission to a  graduate program at Portland State University; Financial Needs

International Student Exchange Programs (ISEP)

Business Hours: M-F 9:00am - 5:00pm EST
Phone: +1 (703) 504-9960
Fax: +1 (703) 243-8070

You can find academic requirements on each of the program pages, and the Eligibility section of the ISEP application will make sure that you are eligible to apply for the programs you have selected.